Personal Mission Statement
Wikipedia defines ‘mission statement’ as:
> A formal short written statement of the purpose of a company or organization. The mission statement
should guide the actions of the organization, spell out its overall goal, provide a sense of direction,
and guide decision-making. It provides “the framework or context within which the company’s strategies are
Webster’s College Dictionary defines mission as:
> A specific task that a person or group of persons is sent to perform
> An allotted or self-imposed duty or task; a calling
Mission statements then are very important to a company or organization no matter how big or small. Then how much more important is it to have and know our mission statement in our own lives when we are created in God’s image and are here on earth for a specific purpose?
> Once you define your mission statement, your life will make a dramatic shift! Decision making comes more
easily, because now you have something against which to measure.
> Some people say the greatest question we can face is that of our meaning and purpose here on earth
> People don’t plan to fail, they just fail to plan
> Proverbs 19:21 Many are the plans in a person’s heart, but it is the Lord’s purpose for their life
How to write your personal Mission Statement- 3 Key Parts:
> Mission Statement simply defines your daily tasks, keeps you focused
1) First part is looking at what the Bible says about 1)Our calling 2)Our purpose and 3)How we should live
our lives- Write down a few things we discussed:
* Jeremiah 29:11, Eph 4:1-6, Eph 4:11-13, Matt 28: 18-20, Matt 22:36-39, Galatians 5:22-24, etc, etc………
2) Second part is our unique and personal mission- Answer these questions:
* What do you feel called to do specifically?
* What are you passionate about?
* What do you enjoy the most?
* What are your talents?
* How are you unique?
3) Third part is a brief Vision Statement (Paint a picture of the future)
* From your Mission Statement (Daily focused tasks), what will those things create at the end of your lifetime
* What do you want your legacy to be?
* List details and specifics of what your legacy might look like?
* What would the future look like if you were to literally paint a picture to reflect the vision
we want to leave from our life?
Assignment: 1) Work through each of the 3 parts of a Mission Statement. 2) Dig deeper into each part, brainstorm ideas, and begin to work on this like an essay (go through various drafts continuing to refine and narrow your Mission Statement until it clearly defines you). 3) Pray and ask the Holy Spirit to show you insights to what your specific and unique Mission Statement is. 4) Have fun! (It’s exciting when you start to discover all that God has created ‘you’ to do!)
> We will briefly share our Mission Statement at the next meeting.